The Elephant

The elephant in the room
Is watching me,
And I wonder
What else he can see?

No one wants to admit 
the reason he's there.
Or that this relationship's 
in complete DISREPAIR.

You asked me to visit, 
You were persistent-  
And here I came...
Way too consistent.

You've always known 
You can count on me, 
I've never said no- 
There's no boundary. 

I've let you say things
This has gone on for awhile
And you say things
Just to hurt & beguile. 

And I came to tell you off
Once and for good, 
Hoping to feel 
Much better understood.

But today you just sit there, 
Not feeling well-  
And my mouth is kept buttoned
Closed, like a clam's shell...

As you sit starry eyed 
Just looking at me. 
The feeling of contempt 
Disseminating in me.

And I know yet, 
I'll swallow this anger and pain, 
And I'll sit here with you, 
Till I finally leave again. 

And I hope I can one day
Live life anew
I'll start my life over-  
Without you. 

And I know that one day 
I will finally move on,
Hopefully to join
A healthier echelon.

And the elephant can leave 
He has better things to do, 
Than to keep unspoken truths 
From both me and from you.

I'll miss the feeling 
Of having you here, 
But I'll finally be safe
From this family's despair.

-- And some day, hopefully one day,  I'll try to remember the love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Change by Changing Face

It Wasn't S'posed To

Should I Believe What You Say?