Jim

The other night I saw you,
Sitting at the bar
Lights flashed as the music grew
And I wasn't even fully sure if it really even was you.

Nights we had talked of things needing change...
And we were so ready to speak of change, and the ills of the world.
And ways we'd become involved.

This night that I speak of, your eyes were full
And I've never seen the sight of what must've been deep on your mind.
The drink that you held- or was it the drug that you were on- Kept me far, far at bay.

And although I was with someone else,  I was your confident and friend....
But this night I was no one to you but a stiff passing by.

I tried talking to you- but you refused to talk and you looked the other way. 

And I looked at you anyway, as you continued to look through me. 

You never pretended-  you just were.you were jolly and witty,  made of ideas made of both whiskey and honey and that's what I loved about you.

And I wish I could say, that my dreams like yours,  have remained unchanged.
But we know that cannot be true.

But sometimes I pray that somehow we are still both searching for ways to change the world.


--Dedicated to Jim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Change by Changing Face

It Wasn't S'posed To

Only Peaceful Days