Almost Love Affair

Unsettled dust
Finally Settled that day
When your stupid car finally
Pulled away-

It would be the last time
Of our bickering
And I thought I heard
Someone say:

They started as friends
Then turned into lovers,
She had her writing,
And he had so many others-

But theirs was an almost love affair-
It was obvious to most
That they both really cared.....
And that they still do.

I took the furniture
You got the car
I got settled in an apartment
Friends saw you at the bar.

At least there's no more bickering
And I went out again one day-

When friends asked I'd tell them
We had everything in common
We had started as friends
Had given it a good run....

We started as friends
Then turned into lovers,
I had my writing,
But there had been so many others-

It was an almost love affair-

We fought all the time
And you never listened
Our wedding vows went bad
But something still glistened.

And I'd see you around from time to time.

But It was obvious to me
that you really cared....
And though you tried
You just couldn't be there.

It was an almost love affair.
And I grew to love my own solitude.

Time passed away
Your Grandma did too
I know you missed her
She was your beloved Grandma Lou

And you got into your own rhythm without her

And one day you questioned
Where I was going
And you said you were ready
You wanted to stop acting

You got the ring
You called the pastor
You said I was the
only person you were ever after.

And it was an almost love affair


I heard you that night
Say you'd do anything for me
You said you'd be faithful 
And that you were sorry

And all this time
You had only been confused
And you had thought being young, 
Meant keeping all the young ladies amused.

But you had since changed your ways.

And...
It was obvious to most
that we both really cared....
And it's obvious even now
That we still do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Change by Changing Face

It Wasn't S'posed To

Only Peaceful Days